Friday, November 21, 2014

Plant Protein Power

It's a common misconception that you need to eat meat in order to get enough protein. The problem with meat is it not only comes with protein, but most of the meat we eat comes with artery clogging fat and cholesterol as well. Calorie for calorie most plant based proteins carry a heavier protein punch than their animal based brothers, so you can get this important muscle building nutrient without the added health hazards of clogged arteries, heart disease, and extra wiggle in the middle. Am I saying you should become a vegetarian and swear off meat all together? Not at all. However, your heart will thank you if you cut back and substitute some of these powerhouses a few times a week. Here are my top 10 sources of plant based protein.










1. Quinoa
Pronounced Keen-wa, this Peruvian grain is actually a complete protein and has 9g of protein per cooked-cup. It's very easy and quick to make (being done start to finish in about 20 minutes) and can replace rice in any recipe. See my post Quinoa vs Brown Rice to get the lowdown on one of my favorite grains.

2. Hemp Seeds
Hemp seeds are rich in essential fatty acids, including omega-3's. A one-ounce serving has approximately 10g of protein. These seeds have a slight nutty flavor making them the perfect companion in salads, stir-fries and oatmeal. They are also great thrown into smoothies, yogurt or in a muffin recipe. And, no, you won't get high eating hemp seeds...... sorry.

3. Lentils
Lentils come in many varieties, are super low in fat and high in fiber. They cook up super quick and are great in soups, stews and are a staple in curry recipes. You can also use these wonder grains in a lot of meat substitute recipes. I have had huge success with making Lentil Sloppy Joes and have a lentil "meatloaf" I am dying to try. And, with these guys packing 18g of protein in one cup of cooked lentils, I think they are worth taking a look at.

4. Broccoli
This might surprise you, but broccoli has around 7g of protein in one cup cooked. I love broccoli and put it in a lot of my cooking, and with the added carotene, zinc and leleium which helps strengthen the immune system, what's not to like?

5. Beans
There is such a variety of beans out there that you can truly never get tired of eating them. Black beans are my favorite with around 10g of protein per 1 cup cooked. They also are high in iron which will keep your blood happy.
6. Green Peas
Yup, peas are a heavy weight when it comes to protein. However, this is no surprise. Most people look at peas as a vegetable, but really they are a legume. They are loaded with disease-fighting compounds and have almost 9g of protein in 1 cup. Peas are one of my favorite salad toppings!

7. Oatmeal
It's what's for breakfast - almost every morning at my house. I can feel good about that since I am getting around 6g of protein in a one-cup serving. I usually eat it in my homemade granola, but in the winter I sometimes just do good ol' fashioned oatmeal. I have a lot of great oatmeal recipes as well, but one of my favorites is Banana Maple Pecan Oatmeal.

8. Avacado
I know, I know - avocados get a bad rap for being high in fat. You have to look at the whole picture here however. They are heart healthy fats, not saturated artery clogging fats. You're body needs a certain amount of fat to function properly. As a matter of fact, around 10-15% of your diet should be protein but 20% should be healthy fats. Fat helps your brain function and helps in the function of many of your hormones. With avocados packing 10g of protein per whole fruit, I'm thinking this is a winning combination.

9. Almonds
Almonds are a great source of protein with 10g per half cup. I like to throw a few almonds into whatever else I am eating - most especially my cereal or salads. And, with all of that vitamin E, your skin will thank you.

10. Soy
Soy is one of the more controversial foods out there. Some say it's an amazing super-food, while others say it's a hormonal disaster waiting to happen. My thoughts? Moderation in all things my friends. If you eat soy in mass quantities, it will be bad for you..... if you eat carrots in mass quantities it's bad for you too - it will turn your skin orange. But, with soy having 68g of protein per cup, it doesn't take a whole lot to get the benefits. If you are not eating a lot of processed foods (as you shouldn't be) you will have no worries of overdosing on soy. Go ahead and eat your edamame.